Re: FM HT's

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:12:24 -0400, Laura Halliday <lha@sdr.utias.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> At one time, perhaps. But now many (IMHO, too many) hams buy an
> HT and use it exclusively. It is, nowadays, the usual route into
> ham radio.

Yup, most hams do seem to make the HT their first purchase as most new hams
seem to have no-code licenses and then start the upgrade path or explore the
wonderful world of 50Mhz & up. With this being the case, it only seems
logical to me to put birds up there they (and us) can use with an HT. Then
as they upgrade they can move on to other birds, such as AO-10. There are,
however, those of us with HF licenses that still enjoy portable operations.
Were it not for my FT-50, I probably would not make contacts via Mir and
AO-27. With me, it's merely a convenience factor, as I'm sure it is with
other people.

73 de Jeff

           ---- Jeff Johns W4JEF - Reserve Patrol Captain ----
           ---    Jefferson County Sheriff's Department    ---
           ---           Birmingham, Alabama USA           ---
           --- HP200LX & BayPac.. QRP Packet At It's Best! ---
           ---- Finger jeffj@scott.net for my PGP RSA Key ----