Re: FM HT's

At 11:17 AM 7/29/99 -0700, k6yk@juno.com wrote:

> Somewhere in all this thread about working the FM (AO-27) bird,
> there was mention of something to the effect that an HT wasn't
> necessarily what hams wanted to use, but they had no other choice
> but to use an HT. NO OTHER CHOICE ?????
>
> Maybe I'm reading something out of context?  I always regarded
> HT's as a luxury item that one buys to play with when you already
> have everything else necessary to get on the air.

At one time, perhaps. But now many (IMHO, too many) hams buy an
HT and use it exclusively. It is, nowadays, the usual route into
ham radio.

While FM uplinks remain problematic, FM downlinks have possibilities...

Laura Halliday VA3LDH   "Que les nuages soient notre pied
Grid: FN03gs                a terre..." - Hospital/Shafte
Satellite: VA3SFL on UO-22, KO-25