Re: FM HT's

Hey John,

k6yk@juno.com wrote:
> Maybe I'm reading something out of context?  I always regarded HT's as a
> luxury  item that one buys to play with when you already have everything else
> necessary to get on the air.  Or maybe something you can haul around with you when
> travelling and you can't take a "real" radio along!

Standing in the parking lot of the Fort Myers Skatium, the kids and I
took a few minutes to twist and turn the rubber ducky on my FT50R to
listen to AO27.  Not only that, but we managed to work both Randy,
N7SFI, and AL, XE2YVW in rare grid squares, and you John, mobile, with 5
watts!

To tell the truth, I don't talk on 2 meter repeaters.  At times I use my
70 cm repeater and talk to friends 120 miles away through our homey ham
system, but generally, I consider my HT a portable satellite access
device.  :-)  Not only that, but it's a REAL radio John!

HTs allow the motivated satellite operator access to the 18 minute bird
while out and about doing other things. If it weren't for an easy
satellite, the number of demos I could do would be severely limited to
the number of people I cared to invite to my house.

BTW, 91 degree days make you appreciate indoor ice rinks!

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)