FM HT's

Hi Space Fans,

Somewhere in all this thread about working the FM (AO-27) bird, there was
mention
of something to the effect that an HT wasn't necessarily what hams wanted
to use,
but they had no other choice but to use an HT.  NO OTHER CHOICE ?????

Maybe I'm reading something out of context?  I always regarded HT's as a
luxury
item that one buys to play with when you already have everything else
necessary
to get on the air.  Or maybe something you can haul around with you when
travelling
and you can't take a "real" radio along!

73,
John K6YK