Re: THoughts on minimum ERP

> How long do you have to beat a dead horse...ONE CHANNEL FM BIRDS
> WILL NEVER WORK NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY AND DREAM UP
> and forget about telling people to use low power it will never happen...
>                               Samuel KD4ESV EL87

I donno.  Ask the users of AO27 if it doesnt work?  I have never heard so
much fun as listening to an AO27 pass.  Many users are using 5w.

Further,  During the few days after we asked the AMSAT-BB for anyone with
the Kenwood APRS HT to try digipeating a UI frame via MIR using only their
rubber duck antenna, over 190 callsigns were copied.  Of these, at least
55 specifically noted that they were using the 5W HT only.  (Not even a
handheld beam).  For an unscheduled, impromptu few-day test on one of the
most congested FM single-user channels on orbit, I think that 5 watts
worked very well and a good time was had by all.

My apologies to the BB for beating this dead horse.  Sorry... We had fun.
We did it with 5W and most people I see on AO27 appear to be using
handhelds and QRP.  I think we should capatilize on the fun we are
having...

bob

The key here, was that our expectations were small.  All we wanted to do
was exchange a packet or two with everyone on the channel.  This we called
success.  Could we log onto the BBS and pass killobytes of files?  No.
Just like you cannot sustain a 10 minute rag chew on AO27.   But we did
communicate very well at 5w just like many of the AO27 users do...  and
we had fun...

Bob