Re: Fw: Re: THoughts on minimum ERP...

Sam,

I never hear you on the birds!  We'll have to try a 2 meter SSB contact
again sometime, although my puny station (Oscar) will never stack up to
your stacks and power.  You have a very fine station.

shorton@juno.com wrote: (KD4ESV)
> How long do you have to beat a dead horse...ONE CHANNEL FM BIRDS
> WILL NEVER WORK NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY AND DREAM UP
> and forget about telling people to use low power it will never happen...

Yesterday when I worked AO-27, it was FAR from a dead horse, and was
working QUITE well.  In fact, there were only 4 stations on the eastern
pass.  This is fairly common actually during the week.

The 18 minute bird does not satisfy the demand for easy sats.  MORE sats
of a similar design will satisfy the demand and lessen the load on the
18 minute bird.

I'm sure you've been to Busch Gardens and seen the line for the roller
coaster Montu.  Some of the logic I've seen promulgated here would have
people saying not to build any more of those, that the lines are too
chaotic, and no matter what you do it won't get better.

In the meantime thousands of people walk away from the ride satisfied,
and are ready to stand back in that line to ride again.  And what did
the Busch people do?  They built another, better ride!

That farsighted action had 2 results.  It took some of the load off
Montu, and brought more people into the park to ride the new roller
coaster.  Could this analogy be applied to the amateur space program?

Maybe your quote should be:  ONE, 18 MINUTE, ONE CHANNEL FM BIRD WILL
NEVER DO, NO MATTER WHAT CONTROLS YOU TRY AND DREAM UP ...

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                      __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)