re- FM only handhelds.

       I think we need to look at a few things.  It's not that
     SSB 2 meter handhelds have never been built. It's just
     that they're not built by the big 3 manufactures. I'm
     not sure who's still building them but I've still got
     part of a dead one at home I bought off the net. (Don't
     ask. it was a bad deal. DOA and I knew that. It didn't
     come with everything that was supposed to show up with it
     including the schematic, battery cover, and owners manual)
        Anyway, it's more of finding out who is making them and
     getting them to get them type accepted into the US, and
     getting someone to import them.
        The one I've got laying around is about 10 yrs old and
     was built by SANTEC. QST even did a write up about them
     years ago and it was in there first edition book about
     used equipment.
        There are alot of Ham radios built in Japan and other
     Asian countries that we never hear about.
        Maybe we can get out JAMSAT counter parts to let us know
     whats out there and maybe we can see if someone would be
     willing to import them. I'm not in the import business and
     wouldn't know where to start and I wouldn't even know who
     to ask about getting it FCC approved for use here in the
     States.  Other contries may have it easier as far as acceptance.
        I'm not even sure if there might not be a loop hole
     as to acceptance for a small numbers of units and I'm not
     sure about whether you can buy in a foreign  country and
     use here.  Maybe we can mail order from Japan!
        Just food for thought.
              73, Mike KA7HBB