Re: FM Satellites (Millennium Project)

> > New idea:

> > SSB uplink and 2.3Ghz down would be a good choice.  The antenna(s) would be small and the
> > technology readily available.  Personally I would start by investigating direct conversion
> > designs using VXO's for the LO.

> Not a bad idea, and when someone lofts a bird with those capabilities, I
> will probably build just such a device, since I've striven hard to
> acquire the ability to work all the present birds.

Why wait?  How about designing/building handheld equipment to work the
existing analog LEO birds?  If FM is somewhat practical, just imagine how
much better SSB would be.  Or how about giving ACSSB a whirl (using the
pilot carrier and an AFC circuit to compensate for Doppler shift)?

> > The future is in microwave SSB, not FM.   Or at least thats the
> > direction the technical people are heading.

> Maybe.  Who's future?

Certainly not ours if we fail move forward with our technology.

> Almost every ham I know has a 2 meter HT.  Very few I know delve into
> microwave technology on a DIY basis.

And the HT is "FM only" because hams, as consumers, are given little
or no choice by equipment manufacturers.  :-(

> My easy sat proposal (or reasonable facsimile) will bring sat use to the
> masses, not just to the technically advanced.

The "EZ" in "EZSAT" has to do with ground station equipment, not
necessarily with the satellites themselves.  If portable, low-cost,
"EZ" operations are truly desired, then maybe we should concentrate
our efforts on ground station equipment that makes this dream a reality
regardless of the types of satellites in orbit.

> The really nerdy computer geeks run Linux and applications no Windows
> users even dreamed they could run.  Do you?  Does the average ham?
>
> The average ham is mainstream, and uses handheld FM devices for
> communications.  Let's let them work some easy sats!

By who's point of view are Linux users "nerds" and amateur radio
operators "mainstream"?  I don't see much difference between the
two, especially since many Linux developers are hams and very few
of the general public are interested in either Linux or amateur
radio!  (And that's coming from someone who uses Linux not just
for general computing and software development, but for satellite
tracking and pacsat communications as well!)

The average ham uses handheld FM devices not necessarily because
he or she wants to, but because he or she has little or no choice
to use anything else.

73, de John, KD2BD

--
Internet  : kd2bd@amsat.org          |  Voice : +1.732.224.2948