Re: FM satellites, the Future, etc.

Wow! More email on amsat-bb than I've seen in a *long* time!

Personally, I'm still banking on Phase 3D as the easy satellite
for beginners, and would rather see AMSAT's efforts concentrated
on it, rather than diluted in other projects. Truth in advertising
requires me to mention that I am involved in one of those "other
projects", so let's wait until the ink is dry on my degree... :-)

So what, exactly, is keeping beginners off our current satellites?
I rarely hear anybody on FO-20 and FO-29, though time of day may
be a problem. The digital satellites are indeed busy, but it's
always the same list of callsigns in the broadcast queue, and much
of the traffic is packet gateway messages. When you see VA3SFL
(school station callsign) downloading obscure telemetry files you
can blame me.

What can we do to help beginners? It is very much in our interest to
do so; to grow the next generation of satellite amateurs. What's missing?

For what it's worth, people seem to notice pictures - people are
fascinated by my NOAA APT weather satellite pictures, and jaws sag
when I show them what I've downloaded from TO-31...anybody got
a good map of Gibraltar? :-)

Laura Halliday VA3LDH   "Que les nuages soient notre pied
Grid: FN03gs                a terre..." - Hospital/Shafte
Satellite: VA3SFL on UO-22, KO-25