Re: FM satellites (was: Re: SUNSAT OVER EUROPE)

==== snip ====
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, KF4FDJ (Mike in Ft. Myers, FL) wrote:

> > The only way to benefit from more analog FM satellites in orbit
> >  would be to put them up in formation.
> Just the sort of progressive thinking this project needs.  Properly
> spaced, and supported by shear numbers, the load would be lifted from
> the "18 minute bird,"...

But impossible to do on an amateur budget.  Takes fuel, attitude control
systems, etc.  Adds two orders of magnitude to the cost and complexity of
each satellite.

Random orbits is fine for our needs.  (we dont have to match consumer
demands for 100% availability).  My guess would be that about 10 on
the FM builders channel would result in minimum overlaps, yet provide
adequate use times.

de WB4APR, Bob
==== snip ====

You guys are missing the point.  The "formation" I was refering to was like a
military aircraft formation, only a few feet apart.  As it would be difficult
to work more than one bird at a time (some would probably try) more folks would
have a chance for a qso.  Space 'em out and the aligators will jump from one to
another as they come into view.

Actually, what I was really doing is agreeing with those who feel that our
efforts should go toward more FO-20/29 type machines if we can't get more P3
birds up.  As others have pointed out, it does not cost a fortune to get a real
satellite station on the air, just a little effort and ingenuity.  That's what
the hobby is supposed to encourage.

Hopefully, P3D will fly one of these days.  That should take a lot of the
pressure off the other machines.

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org