Re: The Future?

Jeff Johns wrote:
> What's gonna happen in the next few months when Mir is no longer orbiting
> the Earth every 90 minutes? I cut my teeth on Mir after reading several

Amateur radio hardware is flying to the International Space Station on
shuttle flight STS-101 at the end of the year.

> Now that Mir is scheduled to be deserted, what is available for someone such
> as myself? Is the ISS going to have a simple AX.25 packet station available?

Yes.  FM voice and AFSK packet on either 2m or 70cm are supported by the
first set of hardware.  Later flights will *add* more modes and bands.
We always plan to have an "easy sat" capability on ISS.

--
Will Marchant, KC6ROL
CHIPS Lead Software Engineer