Re: FM satellites; Millennium Project

Randolph Kohlwey wrote:

 > I wish someone would make a HT SSB rig that could be used to work FO-20
 > and FO-29 with an arrow antenna.  It could have few feature but should
 > include built in Doppler control. It could also have a tracking program
 > built in to tell where to point the arrow antenna and when the next pass
 > will be.  Two meters SSB up and 70 cm SSB down. An internal GPS unit would
 > be nice.
 >
 > I have worked FO-20,FO-29 and RS-13 portable but the problem is that during
 > the work week out West no one or very few people are on! Often there are more
 > FM simplex QSOs on FO-xx going on between hams on the ground than between
 > SSB satellite users.

The first time I saw Icom's IC-R10 HT-style all-mode communications
receiver, I told the Icom rep at the local hamfest that the only thing
it was missing was a PTT button!  (I didn't buy one at retail price at
the hamfest due to the missing PTT, but a month later found a like-new
used one at a price I couldn't pass up.)  Having worked both FM simplex
and SSB simplex on the VHF and UHF bands, it strikes me as odd that none
of the major radio manufacturers has never considered building such a
thing.  It's like they never heard of QRP operation, and figure that
a handheld transceiver without a repeater is worthless, so why add CW
or SSB capability?  Maybe we need to build terrestrial linear
transponders to use our SSB/CW handhelds with before the companies
will build them for us. . .       ;-)

But if those handheld all-mode rigs were ever built, maybe we should
modify Mike (KF4FDJ)'s proposal to orbit a string of SSB satellites
instead that we can all work with those HT's!

John Toscano, KB0ZEV, EN34js