RE: Re: SUNSAT OVER EUROPE

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:17:16 -0400 (EDT), John Magliacane <magliaco@email.njin.net> wrote:

> Perhaps future FM transponders can include an "alligator switch" to sense
> the level of the uplink signal and shut down the transponder if it exceeds
> a predetermined level.

Interesting idea, but what if say I'm working in a jungle/rainforest type
setting and I need to make an emergency communication with of of these birds
and my cell phone is broken and all I have is the ham gear. I am going to
want to use as much power as I can in this situation in order to gaurantee
that someone hears my call for help, but what would happen is the darn
transponder would turn itself off leaving me stuck in the jungle while being
attacked by a group of headhunters who want to behead me....... :(

Jeff

           ---- Jeff Johns W4JEF - Reserve Patrol Captain ----
           ---    Jefferson County Sheriff's Department    ---
           ---           Birmingham, Alabama USA           ---
           --- HP200LX & BayPac.. QRP Packet At It's Best! ---
           ---- Finger jeffj@scott.net for my PGP RSA Key ----