Cost and Operation

>So in terms of the kind of being discussed, i seems to me the >proposal is suggesting that that one can't participate on contests >or awards without investing at least a thousand dollars, or the >equivalent in parts and labor.  For all intents and purposes, if >what is being proposed is adopted, one can not get Worked All States >without being competent at CW (or being incredible proficient [and >lucky] on 6 meters).

Ouch! I have never had more than $450 tied up in my satellite gear at once (until I bought an amplifier, which I sold shortly afterwards).  Sure some of the "big boys" spend lots on equipment.  You ought to see what they spend on 20 meter equipment!  A little patience and scrounging can go a long way. Pick up the equipment when you can.  I worked AO-13 and AO-10 with less money wrapped up in equipment than the cost of a new FT-50.  It cost a lot less than this computer did that's for sure.  My first 435 MH
z rig was an Ed Krome [(k9ek formerly ka9lnv) thanks Ed!] transverter used with an FT101 with dead finals.  It wasn't computer controlled, but I made a lot of contacts!

The point is you can spend a great deal of money to set up a big satellite station, just as you can spend a lot of money on HF gear or computer equipment.  But you don't have to spend a great deal of money to get on the birds with linear transponders.

I might also ask what is so bad about being competent at CW.  It is very low cost or you can let your computer do it for you.

The FM 'Sky Repeaters' are great introductory tools, but as long as the coveted WAS, and VUCC are available through them aligator rules will apply.

Just My Experience,
Joe

P.S. Address flames to ka0yos@amsat.org