G-5500 Rotator System

Uni_trac and the Yaesu Dual Controller G-5500.

I have been busy answering e-mail about the G-5500 system that
really should have been addressed to the manufactures.  I did not
have the actual system myself.

I now have the system installed and the following may be of interest.

The elevation rotator is identical to the G-5400, G-5600 units mechanically
with the exception that the control wire connections are made by plug
and socket rather than screw terminals.

The azimuth rotator is identical to the G-5400, G-5600 units mechanically
with the exception that the control wire connections are made by plug
and socket rather than screw terminals, additionally the rotator's
complete rotation capability is 450 degrees

The Dual Controller Unit is identical to the G-5400, G-5600 units
mechanically
and electrically in every respect. The visual exception being the
calibration of the azimuth meter face. This is marked out reading
left to right as follows

         0     90     180     270     360     90
         N     E       S       W       N       E

The UNI_TRAC system"s screen presentation has an analog representation
of the azimuth rotator's position. This screen analog representation
and of course the actual control of the azimuth rotator can be software
configured by the user for the following formats.

        0   45   90   135   180   225   270   315   360   45   90
        N   NE   E    SE     S    SW     W     NW    N    NE   E

        180   225   270   315   0   45   90   135   180   225   270
        S     SW     W    NW    N   NE   E    SE    S     SW    W

        315   0   45   90   135   180   225   270   315   360  45
        NW    N   NE   E    SE     S    SW    W     NW     N   NE

        135   180   225   270   315   0   45   90   135   180  225
        SE     S    SW     W     NW   N   NE   E    SE     S   SW

(One has to ignore the actual meter face on the controller unit, or
recalibrate
it)

The choice of north or south centered configuration is determined
by the way the rotator is physically attached to the antenna system.

If the units are available seperately one need only replace the azimuth
rotator and reconfigure UNI-TRAC for a full 450 degree system.

I will also have available shortly a simple modification for any of the
G-XXXX controllers that will provide opto coupled zero crossing triac motor
switching in lieu of the arcing relays.

An overview of the UNI-TRAC system can be seen at my web site.

                     www.qsl.net/zl2amd/

73

Dave Lamont       ZL2AMD