CQ Editor Alan Dorhoffer, K2EEK - S.K. - Funeral Arrangements

Dear Friends,

While many of you may already be aware of the sudden passing of my friend
Alan Dorhoffer, K2EEK, the Editor of CQ Magazine, I was requested by the
magazine to forward the following information to all of those who knew him.
This latest release contains an addition with the funeral arrangements.

I know you join with me in mourning Alan’s passing.  He was my friend and I
will miss him.

“73 Alan -- till we meet again in the ethereal abyss”

de
Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
Newsline

News Release
CQ Communications, Inc.
25 Newbridge Rd.
Hicksville, NY 11801.

For more information, contact:
   Dick Ross, K2MGA, Publisher
   516-681-2922

CQ Editor Alan M. Dorhoffer, K2EEK, SK

 (Hicksville, New York) -- Alan M. Dorhoffer, K2EEK, Editor of CQ magazine
for nearly a quarter-century, died July 19 from complications of cancer
surgery. He was 61. Dorhoffer was born on February 23, 1938, and spent his
entire professional life at CQ, starting as an Assistant Editor in 1964, and
becoming the magazine's 10th Editor in 1976. He was also a co-owner of the
magazine since 1979.

Dorhoffer lived in Port Washington, New York, and was a ham since his teenage
years, concentrating his activity on his favorite band, 10 meters. At CQ,
Alan tried to focus on the "people" aspect of amateur radio. "Ham radio is
people interacting with other people," he wrote in the magazine's 50th
anniversary issue, and on the things people do with amateur radio. "The act
of doing, whether it's contests or awards, that's been my outlook."

CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, said Alan had been like a brother to him for
over 42 years. "We'd butt heads from time to time on editorial matters, but
that in no way diminished our mutual love and respect," Ross said, adding,
"He was always there for everybody."

Alan's illness was diagnosed only a week or so before he succumbed to it.
Alan was not married at the time of his death, and had no children; but he is
survived by an "extended family" of over 1,000,000 close friends, the world's
amateur radio operators. Funeral arrangements have not yet been finalized.

-30-

CQ Communications, Inc.
25 Newbridge Rd.
Hicksville, NY 11801

Funeral Information for Alan Dorhoffer, K2EEK:

Funeral home visitation and services will be held at Arthur F. Knowles
Funeral Home, 128 Main St., Port Washington, NY 11050; Phone: (516) 767-0123.

Visitation will be Wednesday, July 21, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and 7 p.m. to 9
p.m.

Funeral services will be Thursday, July 22, at 10 a.m., followed by interment
at Nassau Knolls Cemetery, 500 Port Washington Blvd., Port Washington, NY.

Travel directions follow for those who are able to attend.

CQ offices will be closed after 12:00 noon on Wednesday and all day Thursday.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the "St. Francis Hospital
Foundation." Indicate on your check that the donation is "in memory of Alan
Dorhoffer," and mail to:

St. Francis Hospital
Attn: Development Office
100 Port Washington Blvd.
Roslyn, NY 11576

If you have questions or need additional information, contact CQ
Communications at (516) 681-2922 before 12:00 noon on Wednesday, July 21.

--------

Directions To Arthur F. Knowles Funeral Home:

>From the Long Island Expressway (I-495), take Exit 36, Searingtown Rd. At
light, go north on Searingtown Rd (Left turn if coming from 495 eastbound;
right turn if coming from 495 westbound). Follow Searingtown Rd.
approximately 4 miles (at some point, the name will change to Port Washington
Blvd, but keep going). At about the 4-mile point, there will be a Citibank on
the left. Get into the left lane and, at the next light, turn left onto Main
St. Follow Main St. through four traffic lights. Funeral home is immediately
past the 4th light, on the left.