Re: Stupid Questions from a newbie

In a message dated 99-07-19 11:07:53 EDT, jordana@nucleus.com writes:

> Hi the only thing I can think of to add is the addition of a 2meter IF
>  Postamp immediately after the 2880 would help negate the Coaxial line
>  loss to the shack...

I don't know about you guys, but my Drake 2880 has too much conversion gain.
I initially ran 1/2" hardline from the converter to the shack and found I had
an S6 on my 2M IF, so I ran RG-58 down the tower (75' run) to attenuate the
2M signal. I could have inserted a pad, but why waste a good 1/2" hardline
run. I thought about adding a DEM 2.4G preamp, but decided to wait for a
signal other than UO-11 to decide if it was really needed. I can detect UO-11
fine without the preamp. Isn't the 2.4G doppler fun!! I had to keep my hand
on the 2M IF tuning knob to keep it in the passband. This mode begs to be
computer doppler controlled.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649