Re: ICOM IC-821H radio

Hi Dave,

I bought my IC-821h in september last year (second hand... newprice=2400
$US) specially for satellite operation.
It's a bit complex to learn how to work with the satellite mode if you're
used to work with two different transceivers (I used to have
the TR-851e and TR-751e) but after a few weeks of qso making, you will like
it.

There's not much info about satellite operation in the manual. Of course
they don't say how easy it is to make the CT-17 interface
for CAT automatic doppler correction, but it's well discribed in many
tracking software supporting IC-821.

Both bands are displayed at the same time.

The receiver is very sensitive. We use my IC-821h now with our VHF-team at
all the VHF-contests, with better results.
The power set button on front is at my opinion a must on all transceivers.

About the CAT function: I have seen at other stations using the FT-847 that
their transceiver responds much much quicker on the
computer command (using the Station tracking software) than the IC-821
does. (the 821 responds only after about 1/2 second)
This makes it not easy to use the CAT on analog transponders.

The big advantage if you want to use pacsats, is that 9k6 is available
without doing surgery to your transceiver. Plug and play.

I once switched the polarisation in a hurry on my 13.8V/50A power supply,
and the transceiver is still ok!

My license does not let me have a HF-capable FT-847 but maybe you should
ask also people who have experience with
both the IC-821 and the FT-847.... anyway, I never regretted buying the
Icom.

Best 73 from Belgium de ON1DLL Dirk

Best 73 from ON1DLL Dirk

Pacsat AO-16/UO-22/KO-25/TO-31