Re: FM Satellites

At 09:16 PM 7/12/99 EDT, K5OE@aol.com wrote:
>bruninga@nadn.navy.mil writes:
>
>> 4)  In my opinion, the FM satellties cannot possibly support TWO-WAY
>>  exchanges between every possible combination of users.  If there are 60
>>  stations, then it would take 60*60*2, or 7,200 transmissions!  But if the
>Bob,
>No argument with your point, but I believe this is a binomial combination,
>where the following applies:
>
>    n! / r!(n-r)!
>  where n=60 and r=2
>
>Hence, only 1770 "combinations" are available.

That will also be cut way down when one does more than one callsign/name
per transmission.   The max exchanges I have done/heard done is around 18
on one
pass.  On far western passes you will be lucky to have over 10 users on the
AO-26 even on weekends.  The typical value is closer to 3 to 4.

The idea might have merit for next years field day.  Let the FM analog birds
be treated more like the digital birds.  Get one point for getting your
callsign and exchange over the air and then 1 point for callsign/exchanges
copied. If one only tried just after AOS, at max elevation and just before
LOS then all parts of the county in footprint would have a chance of hearing
his callsign/exchange.

Too many times could result in negative points. Just have someone record the
passes like was done for SO-35.  This would also reward those with the better
receiving setups!

73, Randy N7SFI