Re: Mir, SO-35, RS-18 stuff.

Steve,

WOW, what audio SO-35 has!  I managed to work Al, XE2YVW, early in the
pass.  We were both full quieting.  I was sending a smoking 1 watt into
the coax.

MR STEPHEN G THOMPSON wrote:

> As far as SO-35 goes, today was my first chance to
> try my hand at a contact.
> Even with 5 watts and an outdoor antenna I was
> unable to make one contact at any point during the
> entire pass due to certain stations literally
> monopolizing the use of that satellite.

The doppler correction on this bird is counter-intuitive, if you are
used to working a mode J bird.  Are you transmitting in the right
place?

Just in case it might help somebody, here is a small table of 5 pairs of
frequencies you could program into your HT to help ensure you are close
to the proper uplink frequency.  You will have to program in a
nonstandard split.  Most HTs will only allow you to program on 5 kHz
settings.  Start with the first pair at the start of the pass, and
sequence through them as the bird passes.

Downlink       Uplink
145.830        436.280
145.825        436.285
145.825        436.290 (bird directly E or W of you)
145.825        436.295
145.820        436.300

The first and last pairs may not be required, depending on your
latitude.  The bird turned on well after the footprint was over Fort
Myers.

I think the bird is just so popular because this is only the third pass
we have been able to work.  If 100 operators are trying to work the
bird, chaos will reign.  Everyone has as much right as the next
operator.  I did see a very effective technique in use today however.
Let your YL transmit and you're sure to get an audience!  :-)

Activity on this bird today should convince everyone there is a need for
an entire fleet of easy satellites.  Imagine 20 or 30 similar birds in
orbit, with one available any time you want or need to use it.  Let's
start our planning now!

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )