IC-821 Preamp

I may have just discovered something with my IC-821.  A couple of months
ago, I purchased a Mirage 70cm preamp - it came in two sections; the
mast-mount preamp and the control switch.  Looking through my '821 manual, I
just discovered that the preamp switch does nothing more than apply DCV up
the feedline to the preamp.  After discovering this, I tried it out with the
Mirage preamp.  It appears to work!  Is there any reason that anyone knows
that I should do this?  If I can, I just eliminated two connectors out of my
system.

73,
Joel
OM:  Joel B. Black, KS4AW     XYL:  Kristie H. Black, KF4CHN
Eutaw, AL...............EM62bv     kahblack@mindspring.com
AMSAT member #32589
jbblack@mindspring.com
ks4aw@amsat.org