MORE SUNSAT FOR USA TODAY (JULY99)

SUNSAT OBC PROBLEMS CAUSED UPSET LAST WEEKEND

Sunsat was programmed to support Mode B operations over South Africa,
Europe, and America on Sunday 4 July. However Sunsat was silent during
the South African passes. The Ground Control team suspected that the
OBC1 had crashed. It hadn't, but a fault in an earlier diary command
caused diary execution to stop prematurely. Sunsat was reprogrammed for
the next day and some excellent reports were received.  Will Owens N3ZLL
said in an Email to SARLNEWS “I was able to copy Sunsat on the pass over
the USA on Monday July 5th. I was using my Yaesu FT-50 @5w with an Arrow
Antenna - the signal was S9 most of the time - a number of stations were
on the satellite using higher power, but I was being heard, as reported
to me by 3 other operators. Congratulations on your success with Sunsat!
I have only been operating Satellites for about year, which has been
very enjoyable to me, just wanted to say Thank You!”

Many other reports were received. Thanks for your comments.

SUNSAT’s  uplink is 436.291 MHz and the downlink is 145.825 MHz, both
NBFM. The  downlink  can easily be reeceived on a hand-held for most
elevations. Note that because of the Doppler on the uplink, you should
set your uplink frequency to 436.286 for the first half of the pass and
436.296 for the second half.

Sunsat will again support a US operation this Sunday  11 July 1999 as
follows:

USA
18:00 to 18:18  UTC
19:40 to 19:55  UTC

Comments and reports are invited please address to
sarlnews@intekom.co.za. Is Sundays a good day? Passes over the USA do
not affect the Ground Control Station operation so we can programme it
for any day of the week. At this stage the power budget can accommodate
one 30 minute period per week. Any comments?

73

Hans ZS5AKV