Re: SUNSAT MOBE B THIS SUNDAY

Unfortunately, the message wasn't received by my mail server until after the
pass had already occured.  I'm disappointed, but i can hardly complain much
(given i think i was the first North American operator not associated with
the project to hear SUNSAT).  So, i'm very much looking forward to actually
working SUNSAT!

You are getting very strong signal reports from North America and i understand
that power constraints mean you cannot run SUNSAT in this mode and power level
for long periods.  Could we try a few North American passes at an intermediate
power level and then the lowest power level?  The first test would be to see
how much power it takes to be heard with an suitable omni or a 'long rubber
duck' on most passes, and whether a standard 'rubber duck' could hear it on
better passes.  The second test would be to see how well an AO-27 class of
antenna (an 'Arrow' or equiv.) would do on most passes, and on what kinds of
passes a 'long rubber duck' would work adequately.

Maybe the Mode B-FM (the 'bent pipe') doesn't need to run at high power,
except on special occasions (school contacts, etc.) and could be a lot often
at a much lower power setting that would be compatible with SUNSAT's other
missions.
                                -- KD6PAG