SunSat power budget.

I sent a quick report to the E-mail address on the SunSat Web Site
on the first SO-35 pass over NA.  Not only did I thank them for the
use (as it were) of the satellite, but I also questioned what the
available power was, so as to calculate how much it might be available.
Below is the excerpts from that E-mail.

>SNIP<

> > Thank you for your efforts too.  I wonder, does this sat
> > have a power budget to allow full orbit operation or will
> > it be limited like AO-27?
>

> We are greatly power limited in out present 12:00 orbit. It drifts
> an hour earlier every 70 days. When we are in 06:00/18:00 orbits
> we will get far more power (and continuously), so expect to be able
> to run continuously.
>
> We are still checking out the satellite, so we can only afford to
> power the transponder for a few passes at a time. WE only charge 2%
> battery capacity per orbit so it takes some time to recover the 2
> amps*0.25 hour = 0.5 AH taken by the transponder from our 6AH
> battery.
>

>SNIP<

There you have it.  Not news to some, but maybe useful for others.

Y-all have a great evening,

Vy73,  Mike.   KD9KC    MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@elp.rr.com  -  kd9kc@amsat.org
Home page: http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/
The farthest WEST ham in West Texas.

Al Gore....  First it was Love Story.
Then he invented the internet.  Now
he's behind the Russians in Kosovo.
He said Bill was the best President EVER,
then next he's appalled by Bill's actions.

And now he wants to by YOUR President?!?!?