RE: so35

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
> Behalf Of Bruce Paige
> Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 2:58 AM
> To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] so35
>

> -------below is my soap box. if it offends
> anyone...sorry...just the facts----------

I do not want to offend anyone either..... But....  If you feel
I am stepping on your toes.... maybe your toes are out in the
isle.

> first is the over use of power on this first pass. I started
> with 50 watts. then
> n4zq and myself dropped down to 5 watts and we sounded just
> as good. I
> found later that I could not get into the bird because I was
> only transmitting
> at 5 watts. why....well,

Same here, I have noticed the same problem on AO-27 on every
weekend that I have attempted to use it.  If you are not on
a beam, and/or using an amp... forget it!  I run 35 watts,
and a SSB electronics pre-amp, into a Tri-band J-pole.  You
would think it was enough... but it isn't.  Seems a regular
group gets on and that's it.  Early birds had a schedule for
lower power ops... maybe a time to try that again???

If you can't join them, beat them!!!  1 each KLM 2m and KLM 70cm
beams are in the yard waiting to get up, 150 watt amp is on the
workbench, 9 ft GM tower is in the garage, Yaesu 5400 rotor is
under the desk.  I just feel sorry for the folks who can't afford
to do all of this.

Vy73,  Mike.   KD9KC    MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@elp.rr.com  -  kd9kc@amsat.org
Home page: http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/