RE: SUNSAT MOBE B

Date sent:      	Mon, 5 Jul 1999 10:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	Clifford Buttschardt <cbuttsch@slonet.org>
To:             	amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject:        	RE: [amsat-bb] SUNSAT MOBE B THIS SUNDAY (fwd)

> Let me get this out on the AMSAT net ASAP!  Thanks  Cliff K7RR

1838z over houston....transponder is loud sending digital data. at 1839 to
1840z the transponder changed to mode b and it is the loudest sounding bird
in the sky. fantastic. on the icom 821h, i had to turn the power level all the
way to the left and was transmitting about 5 watts. that was even too much.
of course, some got on that were using more and i had to increase power to
be heard.

the pass lasted until los and was still sounding good. i even forgot to turn the
antennas and did most of my working with the antennas about 45 degrees off
the satellite and was still heard.

looks like this has to be the easiest satellite in the world to work and the
70cm doppler did not seem to affect the bird at all for fm work.

i recorded the pass and will convert it to real audio. forgot i could do it live
and i taped it instead. the audio is available for listening or downloading at
http://www.amsatnet.com

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on GE-1 (W1), T12, 5.7MHz at 103 deg