Re: Sunsat crash

Hey Bruce,

And some Juno users might be interested in "reading" further down the
page.

**** snipped from the same page as Bruce's excerpt:

Amateur Radio week end operations

Last week end (6 June), good strength amateur signals (particularly from
ZS1CT) were heard on the first afternoon pass. On the second pass, no
activity from amateurs was apparent. The Sunsat transponder was
functioning, broadcasting noice from the uplink receiver.

13 June transponder passes
13:21 to 13:35
15:01 to 15:12

(Monday morning 14 June)
00:31 to 00:44
02:10 to 02:22

Announcement of amateur transponder service passes starting 30 June

SUNSAT in-orbit testing has reached a stage where it is possible to make
more time available for South African Amateur Radio use of SUNSAT, and
to let our ground station teams spend more week-end time with friends
and family.

Our normal plan will thus be to program SUNSAT to support South African
Radio Amateur transponder mode operation during passes starting late
Saturday evening and ending early Monday morning. SUNSAT will thus
activate its 436.291 MHz receiver and 145.825 MHz transmitter during
these South African passes. The transmitter will be continuously keyed,
and be NBFM modulated by the the receiver's audio output.

The 2m transmitter should give a good signal on hand-helds, which is a
benefit of operating UHF up, VHF down (mode J reversed). Previous tests
used a 145.950 MHz uplink and 436.25 MHz downlink, but we believe the
new plan will enable more amateurs to hear SUNSAT than if we use the UHF
downlink.

We uplink to SUNSAT with a 20W transmitter and 9 turn (13dBc?) tracking
RHCP helix antenna. We would be keen to hear what EIRP other people use
to get in to SUNSAT's UHF receivers.

Pass predictions as seen from Stellenbosch are on
http://sunsat.ee.sun.ac.za. This week end's transponder operation passes
are:

Bruce Paige wrote:

> for those unable to access the web, here is the announcement from the
> sunsat home page.
> 73...bruce

> SUNSAT Amateur Mode B transponder crashed on Sunday 4 July
... snip ...

73, Mike

                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)