Re: Sunsat crash

for those unable to access the web, here is the announcement from the
sunsat home page.
73...bruce

SUNSAT Amateur Mode B transponder crashed on Sunday 4 July

Sunsat was programmed to support Mode B operations over South Africa,
Europe, and America on Sunday 4 July.

Sunsat was silent during the South African passes, suggesting that the
OBC1 computer had crashed. When this occurs, its watchdog timer resets
the computer and
satellite into a safe condition, which presently does not include executing the
uploaded diary commands that would have activated the transponder.

We get a computer crash randomly, usually averaging about every five days.
The cause is both SEU's and possibly residual software bugs.

We are disappointed that Sunsat's first advertised USA/Europe Mode B
operation didn't work, but we will try again next week. WE will post times
here and
distribute via the Amateur bulletins.

We cannot activate the transponder permanently since the transmitter's
power consumption would cause Sunsat's batteries to discharge completely.
The transmitters
also have hardware timeouts as a precaution against radiating space junk,
so need to be triggered by OBC1

73's

ZR1AFH (Garth)

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on GE-1 (W1), T12, 5.7MHz at 103 deg