Re: Cross boom question

At 06:04 PM 6/30/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings all
>
>Whats the best  nonmetallic cross-boom material to use for satellite
>antenna elevation rotors?   I've used a 10 foot PVC pipe reinforced by
>a wooded pole in the center for years....  it works, but it isn't as solid
>as it should be.

I suggest a 1.5 inch diamter solid fiberglass rod. It will fit through the
GR5400 rotator just fine and is very strong.

Check AIN Plastics. They have a number of locations. New York City,
Norfolk, VA, North Brunswick, NJ etc.

It is called Extren Rod. I paid $50 for a 9 ft length. It was actually 10
ft but at that time UPS wouldn't ship that long so they cut off a foot for me.

Just one caution. It is such a pretty thing that the first thing I did was
run my hand down the rod. Mistake. I got glass splinters.

Some people paint the rod for UV protection.

ron w8gus.