Re: TNC for Satellite Work

The 9600bps FSK units are the same for terrestrial and PACSATs.  There are 3
companies that I know about making these:  Timewave (with the AEA PK-96 that
I use), Paccom, and MFJ (last time I checked) -- Kantronics also makes a
unit that may work, but I seem to recall that there have been some problems
with the latest iteration of thier KPC-9612 and WISP (perhaps someone else
can comment on this).

Hi Gary,

    I haven't had any problems using Wisp to control my KPC 9612.  However,
 my old, beat up, third hand MFJ TNC, with an 'RUH modem that I installed,
will consistently copy signals that the Kantronics unit can't lock up on.
I don't recommend that you buy a KPC 9612 for sat work.

73, Ken

Ken Freedman
AKA N1QQV/QRP  ARRL VE, QRP-L, AMSAT