Re: TNS for satellite work

Hi Gary,

The 9600bps FSK units are the same for terrestrial and PACSATs.  There are 3
companies that I know about making these:  Timewave (with the AEA PK-96 that
I use), Paccom, and MFJ (last time I checked) -- Kantronics also makes a
unit that may work, but I seem to recall that there have been some problems
with the latest iteration of thier KPC-9612 and WISP (perhaps someone else
can comment on this).

The 1200bps PACSATs are different in that they use PSK downlink -- not the
normal AFSK that is used in most terrestrial applications (and MIR).  To the
best of my knowledge Paccom is the only company currrently making such a
unit.

You may also want to check into DSP units.  TAPR has such a unit and there
is a Motorola evaluation kit that can be adapted to work.  These units can
normally be made to implement all of the various modem types.

Finally, I highly recommend that you get a copy of "The AMSAT-NA Digital
Satellite Guide" to answer all (or most all) of your questions on equipment
and how to get set up. Its not very expensive just ten or so dollars and it
will be money well spent.  Call Martha at 301-589-6062 for this and several
other "getting started" type guides.

I hope this helps!!  :-)

73  Tom  n0ntx