Re: Information on the X.25 Protocol

> To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:06:47 -0700
> From: "Dennis Ray Wingo" <wingod@mailcity.com>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Information on the X.25 Protocol
>
> I am looking for source information on the AX or X.25 protocol.  I have
> a project in mind that I need to figure out how to use or re-create X.25.

First, AX.25 and X.25 are dramatically different protocols.  It is
probably useful to think of AX.25 as a variant of HDLC, with the addition
of addressing based on call signs and source routing.  That is, AX.25
uses or implements only a small portion of the CCITT X.25 Recommendation.
In particular, AX.25 does not implement the X.25 packet-level protocol,
(as opposed to the X.25 link-level protocol which is roughly HDLC).
Also, AX.25 was based on a fairly early version of X.25; I believe a
number of additions were later made to the X.25 link-level protocol.

Second, you might look at http://zone.pspt.fi/~jsn/ for the Linux
implementation of the AX.25 protocol.

Finally, I thought there were some UNIX implementations of X.25, but
I couldn't find them.  But, given that the Defense Data Network (DDN)
used X.25 under TCP/IP, some old UNIX systems might provide some X.25
source.

-tjs