Re: TH-79A Question

Al,
    The "Answer Back" function has to do with the "Page" function on your
TH-79A. The "Page Answer Back" function is only on the U.S. and Canadian
versions of the radio. It is covered on page 54 of the manual, which describes
it pretty well, so I will just quote it here;

                Page Answer Back
Page Answer Back is a confirmation signal consisting of your Station code sent
by your station back to the station that initiated a Page call. The purpose is
to inform the other station that your station received the Page call. Your
station only sends the answer back signal if the station that paged you used a
Page code that matched your Station code or Group code, and you have Page
Answer Back and Tone Alert switched ON.

(To activate:)
    1. Press [Menu]
    2. Turn the Enc control to select "Answer Back"(18).
    3. Press [Set] to toggle between "Off" and "On".
    4. Press [Menu] to exit.
To use Page Answer Back, activate the Page function and the Tone Alert
function.

    I hope I have assumed correctly that you have a basic working knowledge of
the Page function, Tone Alert, and the basic programming of the radio. If not
this may seem a little confusing, so feel free to ask questions. Otherwise I
hope this answers your question.
        73's
    KB9RCA, Eric Pearson