Help with AO-27

I'm kinda new to satellites having only worked the RS birds off and on for
the past several years.  I would like to check out AO-27.  I've read many
threads here about all the great contacts being made on AO-27, but I haven't
been able to hear it.  My understanding is that all I need to receive the
bird is an HT and a rubber duck.  I go outside for every pass I can and I
have yet to hear the darn thing.  Is AO-27 on some type of schedule?  I'm
listening on 436.80MHz with the squelch open and hear nothing but static
(yes, my HT does receive ok on 440).  What gives?

Regards,
Tim Zibrat
K3TZ