Re: [sarex] Re: 1200 Baud AX.25 digipeaters in space!

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, KF4FDJ (Mike in Ft. Myers, FL) wrote about Bob's idea
of using the 1200 baud PACSATS as UI digipeaters in Space for APRS
position and tracking links into theworldwide internet:

> So you've made a proposal.  I'm very curious, are the results of any
> tests posted anywhere?  I am particularly interested in how reliable a
> portable uplink was to the bird during the test, if any were tried.

No, I have never been able to get someone on the uplink and downlink at
the same time.  Downlink over USA is almost completely unused.  SO there
are 3 freebee satelites there.  Uplink is easy, downlink to internet only
needs a few stations.  But it is chicken-or-egg problem.

> > Gives us a status on any future life for your APRS picosat.  Is there
> any chance that device will ever fly?  Another incarnation?

There are many people building small satellites,  I hope ours will fly
someday.  But in the meantime, I hope everyone will consider a UI
digipeater for this application on a common frequency that more satellites
can share..

bob
 > 73, Mike in Fort Myers >
>
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, KF4FDJ (Mike in Ft. Myers, FL) wrote:
> > > Speaking of LUSats,  Richard, G3RWL, tells me that LU-19 is in digipeat
> > > mode.  It seems this bird, with it's wide coverage might be a good
> > > candidate for some APRS experiments.  Have you ever experimented with
> > > this bird and UI packets?
>
> Bob Bruninga wrote:
> > Absolutely.  There are 3 perfectly good 1200 baud AX.25 digipeaters in
> > space right now.  AO-16, LU-19 and IO-26  ANyone can digipeat through
> > them, they are practically unused over the USA on every pass.
> snip ...
> > See my WEB page, and past papers in AMSAT proceedings:
> > http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/traknet.html
>
>                                        __\/__
>     |                              .  / ^  _ \  .
>     |                              |\| (o)(o) |/|
>     ^    ---   * -----------------.OOOo--oo--oOOO.------------------- *
>    |||   | |   * Mike Gilchrist - KF4FDJ ..... AMSAT Area Coordinator *
>    |X|   | |   * P.O. Box 763 ................ AMSAT  member   #31884 *
>    [X]~~~|k|   * Fort Myers, FL  33902 ....... ARRL  member  #1781549 *
>   /   \  |f|   * http://www.gate.net/~seven77  telephone 941.772.7907 *
>  |     | |4|   * kf4fdj@amsat.org ............................ EL96ap *
>  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional ..... CNA .... Computer Consultant *
>  |  3  |=|d|   *   AO10, AO27, FO20, FO29, RS13, RS15, MIR, E Layer   *
>  |  D  | |j|   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
>  |_____|=| |   * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>   /*X*\  | |   *  Black holes were created when God divided by zero.  *
>  ________|_|______________________________Oooo.________________________
>                                   .oooO   (   )
>                                     \_)

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html