MIR FD/Technology Day

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, J. Scott Ratchford asked about the end of the
informal 5w QRP HT UI packet DIGI test via MIR:

> Why does this have to be the last day? Let keep it going!

Actually, (I am speaking with NO authority), MIR is always an interesting
channel to monitor and a good source of demonstrations of what HAM radio
is all about.  I think this has been a good demo.  I think anyone who has
the opportunity to show off Ham Radio to the public, youth, or old LIDs
would always be welcome to digi a couple of UI frames via MIR at any time.

But as with any shared spectrum, we have to be careful with such an
invitation so as not to encourage some individuals who may try to turn
such an opportunity into their own personal contest and kill the golden
goose.  With UI frames, just listening and watching is fun too..

One such public opportunity is Field-Day (or TAPR Technology day!)
But as always, in order for it to work, we can't overload the uplink.
So, if you take your HT to FD (we hope you will), then please be
considerate of everyone else.  If you get your Packet digipeated once,
then back off and let others play.  The beauty of the HT is that everyone
has an equal chance, no one can hog it.

What follows is the TAPR Technology Day announcement.  Notice that you get
25 points for receiving ONE packet from a satllite, and 25 points for
successfully Transmitting ONE packet.  Also, you get one point for EVERY
APRS station heard.  No need to do more....

de Wb4APR, Bob

TAPR's annual Technology Demo Day (SAME DAY AS ARRL FD)
Full details are available at http://www.tapr.org/tdfd

   * No commercial power is allowed for stations submitting a score.

   * Any frequencies that are currently allowed for the mode in use.

   * Digipeaters, Networks, can be used for contacts (RF must be used)

   * Minimum exchange consists of:
     Call Sign, ARRL section, Operator Designation (SO, MO, NO)

   * Points:
        o 25 points for receiving the ARRL message in digital form

        o 2 points for every LIVE packet QSO (packet network, conference

        o 1 point for every APRS station "received"
        o 2 points for every APRS station exchanging messages

        o 25 points for receiving ATV signals from a range over 5 miles
        o 25 points for transmitting ATV to another station over 5 miles

        o 5 points for every received SSTV picture received
        o 5 points for every transmitted SSTV contact

        o 25 points for receiving any Satellite digital MESSAGE
        o 25 points for transmitting any Satellite digital Message.

        o 25 points for making a complete exchange using Spread Spectrum
        o 5 points for each Spread Spectrum contact thereafter

Suggested Operating instructions

   * HOOK UP YOUR SPEAKER.
     If you aren't listening to the packets, then you may not know what is
     going on the channel. TNC's do not detect collisions. DCD's do not
     either, so just because the little green light is OFF, does not mean
     the channel is not all QRM
   * Operate normally.
     USE SHORT packets and MINIMUM PATH.
     Use WIDEN-N where possible.
     Keep hops practical for your area. (any more than 3 probably
     impossible)..
     Work everyone you see on mail/traffic pages.
   * ACKS are not required!
     If you get a QSL message from the other station, don't wait for an ACK.
     Erase the outgoing message to reduce QRM!
   * Internet Gateways
     The key here is that IGates only pass through MESSAGEs to LOCAL
     stations in their area. This means you can QSO with anyone if you
     already know their callsign! You will probably NOT see their posits
     since only messages go via IGates (normally). This is why you should
     always include your GRIDSQ in all of your text messages.
     Here are some ways we have come up with to get around these quirks for:
        * a) Assume an SSID of -6 for stations and guess at some
          APRS calls...
        * Watch your traffic list. As soon as anyone QSO's anyone in your
          area, you will see them for a return QSO.
        * Send a CQ FD MESSAGE with your GRIDSQ and report to a DIGI in a
          known area with an IGate. This will go through all IGates.
        * Do a MAPS-OVERLAY-DIGIS for an area to see a good target call.
          (See C)
        * Do NOT send CQFD or TARGET messages until you have exhausted all
          other contacts, else we may totally BLOCK the RF channels around
          IGates.
        * Once you are working via IGATES, PLEASE minimize your path to ONLY
          the hops needed to hit your local IGate.
        * Home Stations If you are not going to operate, please
          set up your UN-ATTENDED home station for AUTOREPLY with something
          like 'QSL. [gridsq].(NO), ARRL section, etc. For APRSdos this
          simply means send ONE message to the callsign of REPLY and make
          sure this message is the first in your SEND list.

-------------------

APRSŪ is registered to Bob Bruninga, WB4APR.
Tucson Amateur Packet Radio
8987-309 E Tanque Verde Rd #337 * Tucson, Az * 85749-9399
e-mail: tapr@tapr.org       web: <http://www.tapr.org/>
ftp:    ftp.tapr.org
phone:  940-383-0000        fax: 940-565-2544

-----
Greg Jones, WD5IVD                 Austin, Texas
wd5ivd@tapr.org      http://www.tapr.org/~wd5ivd

---
You are currently subscribed to aprsnews as: BRUNINGA@NADN.NAVY.MIL