Re: [sarex] BBS's versus DIGIPEATERS in space

Bob Bruninga wrote:

> BBS:   330 packets to transfer 27 useful lines of text = 8%   effeciency
> CNCT:   17 packets to transfer  1 useful line  of text = 6%   effeciency
> UI:      2 packets to transfer  2 useful lines of text = 100% effeciency

> BBS'S ARE NOT THE WAY TO USE PACKET RADIO ON SATELLITES!

>From my prespective, beside all the important things said by a lot
of people, what's important to keep in mind is the fact of the actual
1200 baud packet MIR PMS it's no longer a easy aproach for newcommers
on space comunication, particulary over heavy populated areas.
In fact, right now it's exactly the oposite.

Many new hams said to me personaly, or I read someplace, they gave up
trying to connect to MIR because there is no way! Bob statistics are
no surprise for me. If you could see what's going on, pass after pass,
over Europe right now, you probably wouldn't belive...

But more than the present, I think our concern must be the future.
And I strongly belive a different solution must be implemented on ISS.
Otherwise it will be useless for hams over here.

My idea to solve this problem is a new broadcast protocol, similar to
9600 baud pacsat's, but simple and usuable by any 1200bd packet station.
Unfortunatly my skill's limitations only allow me to dream about it.
However I make a public request to any software/system designers to
try to do it. IMHO, that's the only way out.

Thanks for your attention

73 F.Costa, CT1EAT