Drake 2880 testing

For all you folks out there with a Drake 2880 converter all dressed up and
nowhere to go until P3D: Did you know you might be able to check it out
with UO-36 ?

UO-36's 2401 MHz signal is high speed (equals wide bandwidth) data.
Its apparently just about on 2401.000 MHz plus/minus modulation. I know
nothing about receiving wideband signals so I asked one of the British
gurus. He says:

> You should be able to hear the signal in a narrowband RX in much the
> same way as I can hear packet stuff in my 144MHz ssb RX. Of course you
> wouldnt be able to demodulate it but at least the presence of the
> signal would be obvious. Maybe a scanner RX would be of more use for
> this application. (RWL note: presumably because scanners usually have
> a wider bandwidth option)

Of course, you're still going to have to be lucky to catch the 2401
transmitter ON; apparently they only run it for about 15 minutes at a
time (over Surrey, I guess) because it gets so hot (dissipates about 100W
for 3 to 7 W output) but if you catch it on it'll be quite a bit louder
than Dove was.

Please do not ask *me* any questions about this; watch for G7UPN's info
bulletins which should indicate 2401 activity. Comments should be posted
to the -bb rather than to me personally.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188