Re: Dx on AO-10

Date sent:      	Sat, 05 Jun 1999 19:51:25 +0100
From:           	Francisco Costa <nop06152@mail.telepac.pt>
Send reply to:  	nop06152@mail.telepac.pt
To:             	amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject:        	[amsat-bb] Dx on AO-10

> Hi
>
> Today I experienced a thing for the first time: a pile-up on AO-10!
> In oposite of the majority, I only started on Mode A/B/J birds after
> the "death" of AO-13, so I'm a "newbie" in this field.

snip

> It was amazing, but at same time disapointing. It wasn't much
> different from 20m...

this is really funny....
there can't be more than maybe 20 or 30 people on the satellite trying to
work this guy. everyone piles on and no one gets heard. if everyone just sat
back and let one or two people work him, within 10 minutes, everyone would
have their chance and be done. the pile up only causes the amount of time
required for all stations to work him to increase by two and three fold.

i remember working a rare dx many years ago on ao-13. same thing....big
pile up. i sat back, listened to the frenzy. about 10 minutes later, the guy
was calling cq and there was no one to work him. i got on and worked him
and had a nice qso. i got him to switch to cw and made a cw qso as well.

wonder why everyone thinks that on a rare dx station, if they aren't first, they
aren't going to get it at all. (baring equipment failure or if he says he has 5
minutes left until he qrt's).

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on GE-1 (W1), T12, 5.7MHz at 103 deg