Dx on AO-10

Hi

Today I experienced a thing for the first time: a pile-up on AO-10!
In oposite of the majority, I only started on Mode A/B/J birds after
the "death" of AO-13, so I'm a "newbie" in this field.

Due my lousy antenna system (11+11 elem. RHCP on the uplink and
8 elem V pol on the downlink) I don't have many oportunities to work
the "old bird", but last couple days I had a great time from AOS till
20.000 Km way from QTH, working mainly NA and EU stations.

Today, when I heard a W6 calling a HZ station, I had a feeling the
things could get "hot"... And in did, it happened. As soon as HZ1AB
show up, a massive crowed appeard from "nowhere"!
Several stations called on top of each others and, of course,
the strong signals got the reply.

It was amazing, but at same time disapointing. It wasn't much
different from 20m...
In fact, it's much more desapointing if you think some stations might
had increased their uplink power, with the necessary consequencies
for the bird and other users!

So, I ask:
- is this the normal pratice???
- is there any special "guide lines" for Dx stations on satelites???

Sorry if my question sounds "naif", but honestly I was expecting another
kind of pratice. I want to belive this was an exception, and the rule
is something else.
It's seems so obvious too me, once you are working split (band split
in this case), the only thing else needed is "spread on the band".
I know the trasponder would be full, but DX station work would be much
more easy, and it would be more fair for other stations. Not to mention
AO-10 health... Or I'm wrong???

I really apreciate comments on this subject! Thanks in advance.

Have a nice weekend!

73 F.Costa, CT1EAT