Re: (Fwd) QST STARSHINE PROJECT

kd9kc@elp.rr.com writes:

> > done with ISS.  Does it really require a special satellite?  Does the
>  > starshine satellite really have any reasonable purpose at
>  > all?  I don't
>  > think so.

The Houston Chronicle carried a story this morning with some data I had not
seen before, describing one of the goals of the sat as observing the
increasing drag on the sat as the solar cycle nears its peak next year.  The
students will observe (actually, they will calculate and envision) the sat
"slow down" and drop in orbit as the solar activity causes the atmosphere to
enlarge during the peak years.  The article conjectured it would be
interesting to have a fleet of these aluminum "disco balls" available over an
entire 11 year cycle.

73,
Jerry, K5OE