Re: (Fwd) QST STARSHINE PROJECT

At 10:02 PM 6/4/99 +00-05, Bruce Paige wrote:
>The Space shuttle will launch a satellite called Starshine at 11:20pm
>tonight our time it is a 19" satellite covered with mirrors. It is
>expected to stay in orbit for about 8 months. They have called upon the
>ham radio community to assist by providing WWV time and ticks to students
>should they call. The students have been told how to find a HAM in their
>location by looking us up on the WEB in a Call Sign data base

If the students start out on the web, then they should just go to

http://www.bldrdoc.gov/timefreq/javaclck.htm

which is the web-based clock provided by the National Institute of
Standards and Technology (NIST), formerly known as the National Bureau of
Standards (NBS).

This will get them time ticks as good as calling a ham and listening to WWV.

Asking thousands of students to call random hams by looking them up in the
callsign database sounds like some new kind of abuse.  That is as bad as
asking thousands of students to call people at random by looking them up in
the phone book.

The idea of having students observe a satellite and try to compute its
orbit is a great one.  Could be done with the shuttle or MIR.  Later can be
done with ISS.  Does it really require a special satellite?  Does the
starshine satellite really have any reasonable purpose at all?  I don't
think so.