RE: [OT] Re: Walkie-Talkie MIR tests

Try it in Dallas or Chicago.

> If 2 meter frequencies were leased instead of given
> away, those who valued them most highly would have
> access and those frequencies

As the co- control operator of one of the few repeaters in the
area that is sited on the mountain, and maintained by donations
only, I can safely say that selling off this freq to the
"richest" ham in the area would deprive travelers of good
reliable communications within a 75 mile or more radius.

It would take dozens of ground mounted and linked repeaters
to replace this one.

Hmmm... sounds like an equatable idea to me!  I won't have to
hike that 6500 ft mountain ever again.  Next time you are
driving from Carlsbad, NM or Guadalupe pass to Deming, NM,
try finding a contact without a repeater.  This area is best
described as miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.

Bottom line, what doesn't work for you there seems to be
working fine here, and doesn't seem to need fixing either.

Doesn't APRS have at least two freqs in the US already?
Isn't short packets supposed to be efficient and capable of
sharing many users on ONE freq?  Maybe I mis-understood that.
What would it take for the APRS folks to build a pico-unit
to piggy-back into space?

> 1. Reconsider the 2 meter bandplan with an eye toward
> reducing repeater frequency allocations.

I'm sure the majority of hams would vote for this one!  Especially
the no-code techs.  Yep, convert that HT to SSB.

> 2. At the same time, make sure adequate frequency space is
> provided for experimental purposes.

The very basis of ham radio in the US.  Just glancing at the
bandplan on the desk, I see place in every V/UHF area where
this is possible.

> 3. Assign frequency pairs to repeaters on a time-limited basis
> with renewal contingent upon a demonstration that the repeater
> is actually being used.

Not bad, but why not also for the potential of use.  A lot more
repeater users than APRS users in this area.  Most other areas
too I expect.  Kinda like senate seats maybe.

> 4. Give preference to repeaters offering wide-area coverage.
> This will maximize the probably that there is actually someone
> to talk to at any given time.

Too wide a coverage is just as bad as too little.  IE- the Zia
connection.  It was a series of more than a dozen linked repeaters
in this area.  It covered from Eastern NM to the Cal border, from
the Mexican border into Colorado.  It was mostly unused at night.
Most repeaters are.  During the day, it was difficult to us the
system it was so busy and crowded.  More than once impatient users
started another call on top of a QSO because they got tired of
waiting their turn.  The ZIA connection has been dis-assembled as
of last month, so it no longer exists.

> 5. Give preference to open repeaters.  Is there some reason that
> we sanction the "gift" of frequency spectrum to someone who
> wishes to set up a closed repeater?

Well, I agree here, but on the other side, some systems are set
up with remote bases, links, and a multitude of gear.  It all
costs money.  If these builders/owners want you to buy in to use it,
is that unfair?  Ever hear of Cactus Intertie?  I am not a member,
costs more than it is worth to me.  But I know the local group
has thousands tied up in gear.  Should I be allowed to freeload?

Having spent several weeks monitoring the APRS freqs in this area,
I have concluded that it hasn't made it here yet.  Maybe next
year?

I can see that there are needs for APRS.  There are needs for
many things.  I do not believe scrapping the 2m band plan is the
answer, nor do I believe that the majority of users in this
country would vote for it.  I think maybe you need to see about a
new freq coordinator.  What are other countries doing?

Good luck in your quest.

Vy73,  Mike.   KD9KC    MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@elp.rr.com  -  kd9kc@amsat.org
Home page: http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/