Re: [sarex] Mobile Satellite COMMS!

Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Amateur Mobile Satellite Comms easy!
>
> It worked!  While driving between work locations today, I held my Kenwood
> THD7 out the window and kerchunked on MIR, and got a packet digipeated
> on only the 4th try!  THis was with a long rubber duck. and the 6volt
> battery pack.  Next I changed to the STOCK (poor) rubber duck and the 9.6
> volt pack.  Still I got into MIR after a few kerchunks!
>
> I saw several other UI users too.  But only two of them were sending APRS
> UI packets which the Kenwood would receive.  (see note below)
>
>  On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>
> > MIR will only be up for 2 more months.  If you haven't tried to get a
> > STATUS/POSIT packet via MIR from your Kenwood THD7, you might want to
> > give it a try:
> >
> > Here are passes TODAY (wed) over USA.  These are approximations for your
> > area at the start of the pass.  Pass should last about 10 minutes.
> > Tune to 145.985.
> >
> >    PDT   MDT   CDT   EDT
> >    ----  ----  ----  ----
> >    1521  1624  1727  1830
> >    1658  1800  1903  2005
> >    1834  1937  2040  2142
> >    2008  2110  2213  2316
> >    2143  2247  2350  0052
> >    2325  ...   ....  ...
> >
> > Be sure to set up your HT properly:
> >
> > 1)  Set PATH to R0MIR
> > 2)  Be sure your position is entered.
> >
> > When you hear MIR, then manually originate some POSITS.  Once your radio
> > sees your own packet digiepated by showing you "MY PACKET", then you can
> > be sure that everyone else saw you also, so stop sending.
>
> Besides seeing the "MY PACKET" you can also check the PASS files on our
> live MIR WEB page to see if you got digipeated: (of course our WEB page
> receiver is in Maryland so it will only see east coast stations...)
>
>    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/mirex.html
>
> The Kenwood HT only decodes APRS formatted packets.  If you are not using
> a kenwood or any other APRS program, then pleas do the following to make
> sure that everyone sees your packets.
>
> **** Set your UNPROTO to CQ via R0MIR
>
> The normal APRS UNPROTO is APRS VIA MIR, but CQ also works...
>
> de WB4APR, Bob

A fantastic opportunity to meld APRS, MIREX, and GPS, and to show just
how much can be done with this system, and using minimal equipment at
that!

I note where Denali is in AK. I don't know Mir's current footprint, but
certainly at least western/northern Canadian hams will see those frames,
and possibly some of us here in the midwest/northern and
western/northern tier of states, if the pass is "just right". Good luck
and have a great adventure!
--
Best regards, Jim Romelfanger, K9ZZ
SPECIAL EVENT STATIONS W 9 C and W 9 R IN EARLY JULY!