Re: Ham radio?

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:37:33 -0400 (EDT), Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil> wrote:

> Thus, we gotta DO something with HAM radio, not just HAVE one...  One
> idea is that we need more AMSATS that are designed for the mobile,
> portable and remote traveler use.  We are on the road.  Thats when we
> need to communicate (for real or for fun).

I vote for an array of geostationary AMSATS that cover 80%-90% of the
Earth's population that could support the UI APRS format, such as the kind
currently being digipeated through Mir during it's passes with the current
internet gateway setup along with analog, mode J capabilities for those
times when you want to hear a 'real' voice that you can QSO with. I'm not
asking for much.... am I <g>?

73 Jeff W4JEF

    *--------- Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 - QRP-L# 1857 ----------*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |
    *------------ Finger jeffj@scott.net for my PGP RSA key -----------*