From: ritz [mailto:ritz@eecs.wsu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 1999 11:07
To: sarex@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [sarex] Packet VIA MIR while backpacking in Denali - Alaska?

I have some spice to add to this conversation :)

I really like the SSTV, and I JUST got my sstv reciever working (for about 2
weeks) when it stoped showing up on the weekends.  I miss it, however the
following demonstrates how cool the packet can be :)

I'm going to be backpacking in Denali in Alaska, there are no repeaters
where
I'm going to be (slightly north of Mt. McKinley).  2 nights, and 3 days
alone
with nothing but tons of wildlife :)

http://www.gorp.com/denalilodge/map.html
I'll be around "wonder lake" (in the center of the map) if there isn't too
much snow there, or I'll be about 5 miles east of wonder lake.  I'll
basically just walk in a huge circle to see some stuff and have a good time.

So I made this tiny packet setup that uses a calculator as a dumbterm.
http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/kc7nfz/hamradio.htm#PACKET
http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/kc7nfz/hp48.html

I seriously doubt many people have worked grid squares in denali on 2 meters
before (or on any band).

So, anyway, typing on this calculator is SLOW.  I'll just do the "callsign d
qsl?" thing.  With the ocasional "I'm not dead and happy".

Depending on the response, I will make up special QSL cards for the Denali
Alaska Park.

I figure when the MIR passes a bit south of me, I should be able to get
folks
in Canada and maybe in the northern US?  What do you guys think?  Or am I
just
going to be talking to myself?   Are there any stations in eastern Russia?
Or
north?

This will be on June 16th, 17th and 18th +- a day.  Only 2 weeks away.
I really hope I can work some of you folks. :)
	Peace
		Dave
David M. Ritzenthaler        http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~ritz
UNIX System Administrator                ritz@eecs.wsu.edu
Washington State University                  (509)335-7301
School of Elect. Engr & Comp Sci. - Pullman, WA 99164-2752
PGPfreeware 5.0i Key: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~ritz/pgp.key
Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh My chequer tolled me sew.