Re: LAN noise?

Steve,

Make sure the hub is located away from the shack if you can.  Route the
cat 5 cable straight down and along the floor to the hub, away from the
radio equipment.  I'm using a Kingston 8 port which seems to be very
quiet.  I have cheaper cards in the "harmonics" computers, but found a
3Com card in mine had less hash.  I expected to have to wind the cable
feeding the shack around a torroid, but found it wasn't needed.

As far as getting into the computer with RF, the cat 5 wiring seems to
be adequate.  A sure sign you are getting into the computer however is
when you hear noises in the amplified speaker lines from the sound
card.  A shielded speaker run may be needed.

When you get the lan running, look into WINGATE Home proxy software.  It
allows you  to have multiple Internet connections running with one
dialup.

73, Mike

"Steven N. Bienvenu" wrote:

> I find I need to network three computers in the shack shared
> with two harmonics, and I'm concerned about noise from the LAN
> lines as well as rf pickup by them.  I expect to use Ethernet.
> I enjoy hf operations as well as vhf and above.
>
> Anyone have experiences with this they might share?  I abhor
> computer noise in my satellite receivers...as well as hf ones.

                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)