Re: [aprssig] APRS Satellite

Concerning an APRS Satelite, On Mon, 31 May 1999, John wrote:

> > We have been doing conceptual studies for a small nanosatellite
> > for relaying APRS status/position packets from stations in remote
> > areas and off shore.
>
> Bob, this sounds like a great idea,  I presume that it would be a LEO
> with like 4-6 useful passes per 24 hr. Could be used to get help in
> remote places like I was last week in Yellowstone.
> John Mc Hugh, KU4GY

Exactly!  But if you are going to be in a remote area NOW, you might
consider taking along your Kenwood THD7 and you can send out emergency
APRS posit/messages via MIR which comes over 6 times a day on 145.985.

If you have scouts or are doing anything with a school or youth group,
then such operations via MIR are authorized at any time when the BBS is
not in use... without waiting for an emergency...   Check my live-MIR web
page to see what is on there now...  (tho this weekend, they activated the
SSTV again, so packet and SSTV are sharing pass times.)

de WB4APR, Bob

LIVE MIR packet capture: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/mirex.html