Re: FT-847 on 9600 pacsats

Thanks to all who have responded off-list to my query
regarding the FT-847.  I promised some who asked that I
would post a summary to the list:

The manual (p.17) states "Only the 'Main' band may be used
for packet operation, as there are no connections to the
'Sub' band via the PKT jack."  And the section of the manual
on satellite operation seems to assume analog modes only.
Since the satellite mode uses the "Sub" band for uplink,
this appears to preclude 9600 satellite operation.

However, many have assured me that the manual doesn't mean
what it says, and that a goodly number of folks are using
the radio just fine for 9600 bps packet.  There were a few
notes indicating that the CAT system can't command the radio
into this mode, or that something special has to be done to
get started in a fully automated set-up, but I still don't
have this clarified other than that people are doing it, so
it is apparently possible.  I don't have time to play with
digital cables until after the weekend, but the radio has
been gangbusters on AO-10.

Oh, and of course, there were those "helpful" folks who sent
me notes telling me I was an idiot for asking such a stupid
question, but I noticed that none of them included any
helpful information with their notes.  So to those unhappy
few, thanks for sharing.
--
Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
 "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would