From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of saber electronics
Sent: Tuesday, 25 May 1999 11:06
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] antenna rig

Your antennas should be grounded if possible, and I would suggest you do it
the best way you can to get the most protection from it, but my thoughts
are, if lightning were to strike your antennas, anything connected to them
will be damaged.  Solid state electronics, especially low voltage
microprocessors, can't take voltage spikes.  With the high voltage of
lightning, the ground will not carry all of it.  What grounding may get you
is enough protection that your house may not burn down.  My suggestion is
unplug all equipment from antennas and outlets, and never operate during a
storm, and  then maybe you want loose your radio's to it.
good luck
Phil N5PF